Sports Dentistry in Saskatoon: the Smile of the Game
The world of sports dentistry is a rapidly growing and evolving field, with an increasing number of dentists specializing in this area. This growth is driven by the recognition of the importance of oral health in sports performance and the need to prevent and treat dental injuries in athletes. Many teams now have their own sports dentists. As the team dentist for the Saskatchewan Rattlers, Dr. Parviz Yazdani is gearing up for another basketball season opening May 30, 2023. In this blog we discuss the role of a team dentist and 5 key considerations of sports dentistry today.
What is sports dentistry?
Sports dentistry is a specialized branch of dentistry that deals with the prevention and treatment of dental and oral injuries that can occur during athletic activities. It is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles of dentistry, sports medicine, and biomechanics to ensure the oral health and safety of athletes.
What does a team dentist do?
As team dentists, we are responsible for the general oral health of anyone on the team throughout the game season. We attend all the games ready to manage emergency issues. However, an even bigger part of sports dentistry has to do with prevention with cleanings and exams. An important part of the role of a sports dentist is the consideration of the person as a whole and not just as a person who does athletic activities—this is where NEESH Dental excels.
5 key considerations for a sports dentist serving professional athletes in clinic:
- Mouthguards: These common dental appliances are used in sports to protect the teeth, lips, and tongue from injuries. They are often made of durable, heat-resistant materials that can withstand impacts and resist tearing. Mouthguards protect more than just your teeth – they can be designed in such a way that actually dissipates the force of impacts in order to reduce orofacial trauma and brain trauma. We can custom-fit mouthguards to the individual’s teeth for maximum protection and comfort.
- Dental trauma: Injuries are common in sports, especially contact sports like football, hockey, and basketball. A dental trauma can result in a chipped, cracked, or knocked-out tooth, which requires immediate attention from a dentist. Dentists can provide emergency dental services to athletes who have suffered dental trauma and help them restore their smile and oral health.
- Teeth whitening: Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental service that can benefit athletes who want to improve the appearance of their “smile of the game”. Professional teeth whitening treatments can remove stains and discoloration caused by certain foods and drinks, tobacco use, and aging. A brighter smile can boost an athlete’s confidence and help them perform better on and off the field. Dentist’s Professional Advice About Whitening.
- Dental screenings: To avoid missing practice or playing time due to emergency dental issues, pre season screening and prevention are key for professional athletes. Dental screenings are essential for athletes, especially those who participate in high-impact sports. A dental screening can detect oral health problems like gum disease, tooth decay, and oral cancer early, before they become more severe. Early detection and treatment can prevent these issues from affecting an athlete’s performance or causing them to miss games.
- Dental implants: Athletes who have lost one of more teeth will need permanent tooth replacement options. Dental implants can restore the appearance and function of missing teeth, allowing athletes to eat, speak, and smile with confidence. They can also improve an athlete’s bite and help prevent future dental problems.
More than just emergency dental services.
Dental services play an important role in sports, helping athletes protect their oral health, prevent injuries, and improve their performance both on and off the court. We are proud to offer preventive and emergency dental services to the Saskatchewan Rattlers each season and we look forward to supporting each Smile of the Game! See you in the snake pit!