In a series of Saskatoon dental articles, the team at Neesh Dental shares interesting dental information and education. In our latest post, we share 15 fun and informative dental facts.
15 Fun and Informative Dental Facts from Neesh Dental in Saskatoon
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the pop and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. However, we do not recommend that you use your pearly whites to open bottle caps!
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces. Make sure you brush and floss twice a day!
- If you’re right-handed, you will chew your food on your right side. If you’re left-handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side. Go figure.
- Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day, adults just 15 times a day.
- Just like fingerprints, tooth prints are unique to each individual.
- The average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day, the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes.
- More than 300 types of bacteria make up dental plaque.
- There are 10-12 teaspoons of sugar in a single can of soda.
- Teeth start to form even before you are born—milk teeth or baby teeth start to form when the baby is in the womb, but they come through when the child is between 6-12 months old.
- Humans use four different types of teeth (incisors, canine, premolars, and molars) to cut, tear and grind their food.
- No two people have the same set of teeth—your teeth are as unique as your fingerprint, so be proud of your unique set of teeth.
- Your mouth produces over 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime—that’s enough to fill two swimming pools. Saliva has many uses, including assisting you with your digestion and protects your teeth from bacteria in your mouth.
- An average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth over their lifetime.
Life is More Fun with Healthy Teeth
At Neesh Dental in Saskatoon, a beautiful, healthy smile that lasts a lifetime is our ultimate goal when treating patients. Your personal home care plays an important role in achieving that goal. Our team of Saskatoon dentists and support staff try to always share interesting articles, dental facts and dental hygiene tips so you can take good care of your teeth. Contact us today to book a Saskatoon dental appointment.